a revised feeder pattern among Manchester’s schools. The new plan determines which middle and high schools a student will attend based on his or her elementary school. It will be implemented for the next school year, starting in September 2017.
While the current feeder pattern splits groups of students from some single elementary schools between multiple secondary schools, the changes streamline neighborhood school assignments so that all graduating students from one elementary school move on to the same middle and high schools. Not all elementary schools are impacted by the new feeder pattern, which is illustrated below.
The exception to the single feeder school system is Beech Street School, where half the students will attend Southside Middle School and the other half McLaughlin, as they do now. Under the new plan, all former Beech Street students from both of those middle schools will reunite at Central High School.
Another approved change affects a small group of students who currently attend McDonough Elementary School but live on and around the north end of Mammoth Road closer to Smyth Road Elementary School. Assigning those children to Smyth Road eventually will eliminate a bus route and allow class sizes to be more evenly distributed.
What families need to know right now:
- Current 5th grade students will attend their assigned feeder middle schools in September.
- All students currently attending a middle school will stay where they are but may request to transfer to the new feeder pattern middle school.
- Any students with older siblings at a non-feeder pattern middle school may attend that school with the older siblings and will receive transportation through the 2019/20 school year.
- McDonough students in grades K-1 and new students of all grades who live in the affected Mammoth Road area will walk to Smyth Road Elementary School.
- A crossing guard will be assigned at Kennard Rd. and Mammoth Rd.
- Older siblings at McDonough may choose to attend Smyth Road, depending on space availability.
- Students in grades 2-5 will continue to be bused to McDonough but may request to transfer to Smyth Road.
- The bus to McDonough will continue to run through the 2020/21 school year.