Friday, November 18, 2016

Fumes cause evacuation at West High SChool

Students were evacuated from West High School when a cleaner being used on the gymnasium floor caused strong fumes.  The floor was being prepped for the basketball season set to start next week. Even though the gym was closed to students during the process, the odor grew stronger and reached other parts of the building.

Principal Rick Dichard consulted with the Manchester Fire Department and Manchester Health Department and determined that the school should be evacuated. Students were brought to the football field at about 11:30 am.

“The safety plan worked exactly as it is intended to, and I’m very pleased with the way the staff and our city partners worked together to keep students safe,” said superintendent Dr. Bolgen Vargas.  “We’re thankful that no one was seriously injured.”

Approximately 30 students and teachers who reported having a mild headache or feeling dizzy were evaluated. One teacher and one student were transported to the hospital; they were treated and released.

The fire department ventilated the gym to eliminate any chemical irritants. Students and staff returned to the building at about 1:00 pm. Lunch was served and then school was dismissed for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.